Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Chants!

I don't know about you, but when I discovered Elizabeth Hall's subtraction and sentence chant, I was hooked on them! Love the idea and the kids did too!
I use both of those in my class but while I was going over addition with my class I realized there was no chant for them to remember what to do. So I thought and I thought and then one night (after several months) it just came to me! Thank goodness for Notes on iPhone. I whipped that out and here's what I came up with. 

You can click on the picture to grab your own copy of this chant. 
I wanted to put in words that went with the Common Core and also the vocabulary "sum" so students can start using it and remembering what it means. Of course to go with the chant, there's gotta be some fun moves. We put hand movements to also help us remembering combining and getting bigger. 

Please feel free to come up with over movements that work for you and your class. 

I am also working on punctuation chants. I've noticed in our work with punctuation and sentences, my students know they need to use it but they are always confusing them. So I'm trying to come up with ones to help them remember which to use and when. 

No comments:

Post a Comment