Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Math and Art

It has been a BUSY past couple weeks in my classroom, I don't know about yours. We have 20 more days left till the last day of school.
A few weeks ago, I did a project with my kiddos putting GoNoodle and math together! It was so much fun. I took a craft of Freckles Sinclair that I found from Teaching in the Tongass. She has 3 that I found and my kids REALLY liked making Freckles. Then I also found a ten frame set that is labeled Do You GoNoodle? from Little Kinder Warriors. We used it as a whole group for a long time and then I couldn't decide what to do for math (let's be honest, it was getting to be the end of the year and it was a Friday, so I did art), so I had the Freckles project done since the start of the year and just never got to it. So since it was done, I thought I would just print off the Do You GoNoodle quickly and BOOM! Art and math all together!
  

So we had been talking about adding to 10 and using the CCSS of "I can add to any number to make 10" so going along with this, I let them choose however many they wanted to put in the ten frame and then fill in the sentences and write the number sentence. Many of them just copied what we had for that day, but others went off on their own, which was fun to see.

The next project I came up with was with Base 10. I got the idea of using pool noodles from Mr. Greg from The Kindergarten Smorgasboard and Mr. Greg came up with the idea of using pool noodles for place value! I did make the big ones like he has but then I had some pool noodles left over so I thought I would make an art project out of em! Why not do the same thing with place value and art! So I cut the pool numbers smaller and in half, so they could glue better, and be 3-D on the paper.
 

To do this, I gave each kiddo 3 dice for them to roll to get their number. I told them it was going to be between 11 and 19, mainly because I only had enough of the "10" one for each kiddo to have 1, and we are always working on teen numbers. You will need to use white glue for this project. I use glue sponges (thank you Mr. Greg) and they were a little dry, I have to remember to spray them at the end of each week.

So those were the latest projects with math and art that I did. The place value one was great because it only cost me $1 maybe $2 and not many copies for the "I have ____ tens and ____ ones. _____ + _____ = _____"
The Freckles one was a few more copies but I think it was worth it. I'm looking forward to making more if I have enough copies. :) I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment