Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Getting into the Routine

Well, I think we're about into our routine. I'm still trying to figure out how to go through my calendar portion a little quicker since it seems that my kids get fairly bored by the time we get to the math part. They like the songs, but we're still figuring out all the math bits. :)

I'm also trying to figure out (as I have been for many of my years of teaching kinder) how to get slow workers to work just a little bit faster. Even if I make their assignment smaller, such as color 4 pictures that are black instead of all of the pictures on the page, they still can't get it done. This is my big frustration from only having them for 2 1/2 hours (well really about 2 hours if you take out recess, snack, and transitions) so I'm constantly "rushing" them through things so we can get everything done. We don't have a lot of time for writing, so I have to squeeze it into center time, but then not everyone gets to it each week. There are a lot of compromises I have to make in order to get what I want done and unfortunately miss out on either fun stuff or other important stuff like writing and science that we just don't have time to squeeze in.  Crossing fingers that we really will go to full day next year.

One thing that I am working on that I'm really excited about are a few name-game activities. First I'm working on a power point that will show kids pictures and at the top it says "Who am I?" and I'll take a few guesses from the class, then with a click the name will come across. Another thing that I'm making in a book that is the same idea, but students have to match the name to the picture (this could go with a pocket chart center as well which I'm contemplating doing instead). Last I'm making a SMART Notebook where students can drag the names to match the picture, draw lines to match the name and picture. I'm really hoping I can start the Name of the Day from Elizabeth Hall, I might be able to fit this in when I start Star of the Week (which I'll post about later). I think they will go together really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment