Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Center Time

Hi have been really behind in my posting. My husband and I just fixed my personal computer so I will be able to post a lot easier.

So we have finally started centers and these past few weeks my EA and I have not been pulling groups but instead have been roaming to help with where to go, what to get, and what to do at each center. I put the kids into pairs and my hope is that they can help each other out with where to go and what to do. This week I just changed up the pairs and put them into pairs based on their ability. The last two weeks I just paired them based on who I thought might get along and then once I paired them by ability, they have been working so much better in their pairs! I know a lot of people don't like to put their pairs by ability but for me this makes it much easier to pull for small groups. There are of course some pairs that is the "blind leading the blind" but I'm hoping that this will not continue to be the case once they get used to their new partners.

Here are some pictures of the centers that I do in my room.


 This is my Word Work center where they use magnets to match letters, spell CVC words, and match beginning sounds.










I also have Big Books that the students can pull out and look through. All of the ones that we read as part of our curriculum as in there so they can go back through them. As we learn more Sight Words, I will put in a worksheet for them to find the sight words in the books and then also words that are 3, 4, or 5 letters long.





















This goes along with my Pocket Chart center, but these kids decided to make words on the floor instead of in the chart.









Here is another view of what they can work on. There are numbers for them to put in order and then also sentences to go with the Old Lady books that we love to read. I did also buy Deedee Wills Super Sentence center and for those I just need to print them off and get them in the center.





This is from my Write the Room center and I have some seasonal pictures but them also The Old Lady units that go along with the pocket chart and math center. (I linked the page that has a lot of the units that I've purchased that have great seasonal things to do that I put in my centers)
Leap Frog's are a HUGE part of my classroom centers. I LOVE them. I just received a grant from DonorsChoose.org for more books so I know my students are going to be really excited about the new books. I love the games that are in the books and that it will sound out the words and read the page to them. It's like a listening and buddy reading center all in one. 

These are my math centers. I have Roll and Cover (which goes with our themes), number puzzles, and math boxes which I put different math games in as we learn them.


Here is one of the math box games. It's Bacon and Eggs that a previous kinder teacher left me. There are felt eggs and bacon and the kids pull out a math problem and first put the bacon on for the first number and then the eggs for the second number then count how much is on the plate to find the total.




These are my File Folder games. These are great but so much work to first put together. If you have parent volunteers or college volunteers, these are great projects to work on. There are games for rhyming, letter matching, number matching, beginning sound, ending sound, classification, etc. You can find the books on Amazon, but I don't recommend the colored file folder game books, those are almost more work than these, but if you like them then go for it. I just like these better.


The File Folder games that come in the boxes or the ones for "On the Go" are really nice. This is the kind of book you want to look for on Amazon. It's the color ones in the books that I've found to be too much work.








             
This is my Listening Center. I only have a few books right now, but I am looking at getting more so the kids will have more choices and to get some for themes.




            I do have computers that are very old, but they still work. They run some great OS 9 Classic games such as the Living Books. I love these games so I'll use them till the computers die. 

















And last this is my ABC chart. I have this for my ABC center as well as a tub with letters in it along with little toys for the kids to sort by letter.



 This kiddo placed a "tiger" in the "T" pocket and then showed me the "T" in sign language. Such a smartie!

No comments:

Post a Comment