Monday, July 31, 2017

Math Block Explained

This is going to be a shorter post as we are in the midst of training for a new math curriculum this year. The past several years we have been using Investigations mainly and I was also using EnVisions which was a supplement with Investigations. I really enjoyed the Envisions for Kindergarten but I know that is not a favorite of many and that's okay!
So the way that I run my math block, and I'm hoping I can continue to run it this way with our new curriculum, is I start off with some whole group. I am a teacher who really enjoys whole group teaching. So we will do a whole group lesson which usually consists of a quick review of what we learned before and then introducing the new lesson/game. When we review, we usually do a quick GoNoodle video since it is fun and gets the kids moving a bit before sitting.
Our game might be done in a circle where we pass cards or it might be a whole group game that I teach under the document camera and have kids come up and take turns. Once we do the game or activity (I always call it a game because then it gets the kids more excited to do it) as a whole group, I dismiss the kids back to their tables to play in partners. I have the kids do the game for about 15-20 minutes, about the same time as we do stations. After the activity then the kids will clean up and we move into the math stations. I have 12 tubs of math stations plus Osmo numbers, iPads with math games, and this year I am adding in Tiggly numbers. For math, I group my students by mixed ability so some kids that are a little stronger can help their partner if they are not as strong. I do have my tubs 7-12 with slightly more difficult activities so those that need more of a challenge will have it.
I do pull small groups and we just play math games and work with numbers. One of our favorite math games to do together is Deedee's Math Fluency game. You can get a FREEBIE here.
GoNoodle is great for review as I said but it is also great for assessment as well. I have GoNoodle Plus so I can add my own questions into certain videos and we'll take turns coming up and answering questions.
Another great assessment activity that I have used is a Jeopardy type game that is very Kinder-friendly. It's FREE and you can download that here.
So I hope that answers some questions on how my math block is run. Feel free to comment with any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment